Friday, April 26, 2013

The Blessing of Friendship

I'm so blessed to have some really great friends.  And I've got them all over the place! 

I have great friends in Europe who are so encouraging from afar. 
I've got wonderful church friends who like to have fun when it's time to have fun and who will gather around to care and pray when there is need for that.
I've got summer Family Camp friends who stay in touch throughout the year.
I've got friends from school days who have persisted in staying in touch with me.
Of course, I have friends in my family.  Sisters and cousins are good that way.
I have friends who crossed paths with us in years passed and I've held on to them because they are too valuable to let go.
And I have a fabulous network of friends within my neighbourhood!

I'm planning to be out tonight, visiting with a group of friends who have been meeting about once a month for a quite a few years now.  It's been so much fun to see how our friendships have grown.  We're comfortable being ourselves.  There is no pretending to be someone else.  We're okay with being different from each other, making different choices for our families, having different political leanings.  We treasure how valuable a good friend is.

The thing I love most about a good friend is knowing that she (or he) will be there, whatever the need may be.  A whole bag of sugar?  A ride to the auto shop? A hug and a shoulder to cry on?  Someone to laugh with over tea and brownies?  Someone willing to help with a bag of groceries for a stranger in need?  These ladies rock.

In chatting with another sweet friend yesterday, I realized how rare it is to have this many rockin' awesome friends.  My friends encourage instead of tearing down.  They help and build others up instead of always draining the life out of people.  They are full of love and joy.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that they show what it means to have the fruit of the Spirit...


If you don't have friends like that, find some.  Or find one.  And then find out who that person's friends are.  That kind of friend is invaluable!

No comments:

Post a Comment