Friday, March 8, 2013

A Sick Day Movie

My youngest is home sick today.  I gave him a mild breakfast and told him he could watch a movie if he wanted.  After looking through our selection of movies, mostly cartoons, he selected "Soul Surfer."  If you're unfamiliar with this live-action movie, let me sum up:  It tells the true story of Bethany Hamilton, the surfer who lost her arm to a shark attack when she was a young teenager.  With her faith in God, she overcame this injury to be highly competitive in the surfing world, winning titles with one arm.

As I was setting it up I saw the PG rating, noting that the subject matter may not be suitable for some children.  I asked my boy what he liked about this movie.    "Is it because of the competition in surfing, the story about her overcoming a huge obstacle?"

He thought for a moment and said, "Kind of both.  And that part where they call her a miracle kind of reminds me of Joseph [in the Bible]."  *insert mother's melting heart emoticon*

There's hope for this boy yet.

1 comment:

  1. Margaret Ann SampsonMarch 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM

    Unless we change and become like these little ones.... how very wonderful! He has such a sweet heart under all that energy.

    ReplyDelete