Sunday, October 20, 2013

Darth Pharaoh

I taught Sunday School this morning.  We're doing a series of lessons on Moses and the Israelites.  This week was all about the escape from Egypt and the parting of the Red Sea.  I found a craft to go with the story...  It was simple, but a great visual to help the kids remember the story.  The plan was that I would read through the story, we would make our craft, and then I would read through the story again as the kids manipulated Lego characters over the parted waters of the Red Sea.
Except that I remembered that I wanted the Lego figures about two minutes after we left our house.  So I called the cousins from the road and asked if we could borrow theirs.

An hour later I opened the bag that they brought and saw about 30 mini-figures: Yoda, C-3PO, R2-D2, Jar Jar, Han, Leia, Lando, Storm-Troopers, Luke, Darth, Clones, Rebels...  They were all Star Wars figures!

We went through and read the story.  Next we made our craft.  Then I got out our Star Wars heroes and villains and proceeded to retell the story of Pharaoh and Moses and the Israelites and the Red Sea.

The Israelites enter the parted waters as the Egyptians follow closely behind them.

Moses-Yoda leads the Israelites through the parted waters.
Somehow we ended up with Yoda holding up his arms as Luke and a Rebel pilot finished crossing and Darth Vader and his ilk drowned in the papery curves of the Red Sea.  It was very dramatic.

The Egyptian Storm Troopers get crushed under the waves as the Red Sea closes back up

We improvised and it made for a memorable story.  And a good time was had by all.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, how obvious that God IS always in control! (Good guys versus bad guys.) I'm sure the kids will remember this wonderful story for life!

    ReplyDelete