Friday, February 14, 2014

Just love

I did not get a single rose, flower, card, or chocolate from the person who loves me most in this world.

And I've had a FANTASTIC day!

You see, I wasn't expecting him to get me anything.  And he already shows me how much he loves me in so many other ways.  Why do I need to hold him hostage just because someone, somewhere, decided that February 14th was the day to make grand declarations of love?

So, today, we spent the day together, all five of us.  It wasn't a glamorous day by any means.  It included a haircut, an oil change, a trip to the post office, fueling up the van, and watching 60 kids run around like crazy for two hours.  But it was so nice to just be with the people who matter most to me.

Today, don't make the day something it shouldn't be.  Don't hold those closest to you hostage if they don't live up to your expectations.  Just love them, without thought for how they will complete your life.  Because they won't.  It's an impossible expectation to put on another flawed human being.

Just love.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I had a wonderful day with my family too. My husband was off work. We got to do some shopping without the baby because our daughter agreed to babysit. Then we watched a movie at home as a family. Just a good day enjoying each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, dear niece! This is why I love you & your family so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We feel the same way Wanda. I am having a great day with my family too. Love must be shown everyday, not just once a year and the greatest way to love is without having unrealistic expectations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we ALL felt the way you do Wanda!! VERY WELL WRITTEN!!!!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete